Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Bruce Family

I am one of the luckiest girls out there. Not many people (youth age) are able to say that they had ONE student pastor their whole middle and high school career. But, I am. I can say that I had ONE, outstanding student pastor, Kenneth Bruce. And, along with the greatest student pastor, I had the greatest girls ministry leader/ student ministries assistants, Kristy Bruce. I am blessed. Blessed beyond measure. I don't even know where to begin or what to say, because honestly there is NO way I can say all I want to say in this one blog post, but I am going to try.

My first memory of Kenneth was when I was in the 6th grade. It was a Sunday morning. All of the middle schoolers gathered together in the middle school room for announcements. Tim Morrison, the high school student pastor at the time, introduced Kenneth to us. I don't remember if it was his first Sunday as a middle school pastor or if he was still interning at the time. He had a donut in his hand, while introducing himself to us. 

Sadly, I don't remember the first time I met Kristy. But, I will say that from the get go, I loved her. She was this awesome, pretty, caring, organized, humble, woman who I wanted to be just like. I loved her competitiveness and hard core attitude toward board games and other things. She was such a hard worker. 

Another reason why I am the luckiest girl ever is because I was able to be Kenneth and Kristy's intern for TWO years! TWO awesome years! Literally some of my favorite memories in my life are with Kenneth and Kristy. I couldn't ask for anything better than spending 5 out of 7 (technically 6 if you count Sunday at church) with Kenneth and Kristy. The day I was asked to intern for them, I started planning out my high school schedule to make sure it would work out with my classes. I immediately went to my academic counselor at school to see if I was able to do it. And, obviously, I was able to do it. Thank the LORD! And, when I was able to do it again my senior year, I WAS ESTHETIC! I couldn't wait! 

I learned so much in those two years. Kenneth and Kristy pushed me and challenged me daily. Kristy set the standard HIGH. She was and still is a GREAT example and role model in my life. She exemplified what true authentic beauty is. She strives to become more like Christ. She is an UNBELIEVABLE wife and mother. Kenneth also set the standard HIGH. He is a phenomenal, godly man who puts Christ first in EVERYTHING he does. He is obedient to God in all he does. He talks to everyone he sees and shows the love of Jesus in all things. 

HELLO?? Can't see now why they are so awesome! 

Not only are they awesome, their FOUR boys are awesome too! I love Noah. Noah never stops talking and smiling! He looks just like Kenneth. He is precious and so smart. I can't wait to see what he does with his life. Hearing him sings songs to Jesus is probably one of the most amazing things I have ever heard in my life. He gets so excited when he sees you and does this little "skip, run" thing. Seriously, it is the cutest thing ever! 

Last summer, Kenneth and Kristy brought home Aiden and Asa from Eithiopia. Another amazing opportunity for me. Being able to be with them as they were going through the adoption process was eye opening. Seeing them now, raise these two beautiful boys and loving them unconditionally is truly lovely, wonderful, amazing thing. 

Aiden has the kindest heart. He is such a stud too! :) He has learned so much. He has come a LONG way since the first time I met him. His smile is contagious. His warm heart is beautiful. He has such a sweet voice. I love asking him if he loves me and if I am still his girlfriend. His response is always, "Yes, of course...shhhhh!!!" Makes my day! Love his little, warm, sweet, kind, gentle heart! 

Then there is Asa! I love Asa. I love Asa with ALL my heart! I would do anything for Asa. Asa is the cutest kid I have ever seen. I am obsessed with his smile and his forehead. He seriously has the cutest forehead I have ever seen. Seriously! I know Kenneth and Kristy have a hard time with Asa. I am praying that Asa will grow and mature. I am praying that Asa will be obedient. I am so proud of him and the progress he is making! Keep it up buddy! I love you!

Nathan Bruce. The most perfect baby ever. Really. Nathan is beautiful. He is perfect. He is so happy and always smiling. He never cries. He is truly a wonderful, precious, priceless gift from God. He also looks just like Kenneth. I love his personality. I can't wait to see him start walking, talking, and becoming a little boy!! 

Why am I writing all of this about the Bruce family. It is for one, because I love them. And two, it is because I am excited for what God has in store for them. This morning, they announced that God had called them to a church in Alabama. Westwood Baptist Church better watch out! They have no idea how awesome the Bruce family is!! Westwood is blessed. 

This is all bittersweet. God has amazing things planned for this family. He does. I know He does. I just can't imagine my life without them. Going away to Lee University was super hard. One, because I would be leaving my family and comforts of my home. Two, I would be leaving the Bruce family (who I consider my family). I would not be seeing them everyday and not be babysitting my boys. I really had a hard time thinking about not seeing them all the time. I do view them as my family and I do miss them dearly. 

I think many other people, including Kenneth and Kristy are feeling this way today. But, we all have to rest in the arms of Jesus. We have to trust Him. He knows what He is doing. He is holding Kenneth and Kristy and the boys, and all of "us" who will miss them dearly in the palm of His hand. He will guide, lead and protect us all. He has a purpose and Kenneth and Kristy are obeying His plan....which is so awsome....I LOVE their reckless abandonment and radical obedience to the LORD! I get chill bumps every time I think about it!

God is BIG and God is SOVEREIGN!!!!! He has wonderful things in store for them and I can't wait to hear all about it!

As for Kenneth and Kristy and the boys-if you ever run across this blog post, I want to you know that I love you all SOOOOOOOO much. I am so sad that I missed church today. All I want to do is give you ALL BIG hugs (I even hate hugs, but right now that is seriously all I want to do)!! It is killing me that I am not there. I am praying for you now, and I will continue to pray for you next week, next month, next year, and in 10 years. You all are near and dear to my heart. I love you all like family. Kristy-thanks for being my role model. Kenneth-thanks for being my student pastor all the way through! Thank you for leading and being such a godly example in my life. Thank you BOTH for trusting me with your kids. I love them like crazy! I am so thankful for you.
 Love you,
Emily

Kenneth and Kristy at the student ministries Hollywood Christmas Party!
Noah and Aiden on the swings.

Asa :) This was the first time I met Asa.

THE BRUCE BOYS! (minus Nathan) 

Mom and Aiden.

My favorite BOYS ever! I love them all. They are precious.  
 Kenneth and Kristy came to my graduation! So special! LOVE them!

Me and MY ASA :) 

The boys had so much fun at the pool! They LOVED jumping off the side of the pool! 

The boys loved Jordan! Jordan loved them too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment